FITS Software Library Package
FITS Software Library Package
The Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) Software Library package for
Linux, and Mac OS X consists of a collection of
routines to carry out various useful functions associated with FITS image files.
Besides the source code for the library, a demonstration program, "testfits", which
illustrates the library's capabilities and shows how to code the subroutines into
your own customized applications, is included. The source code for subroutines from
the MIIPS Plot Package and subroutines to display images on Enhanced SAOimage are
included as well.
The latest version of the FITS software package was uploaded on September 23, 2013
The operations in the demonstration program which can be carried out on one or
more FITS files are:
1) Reads all or part of a row of data and prints it on the terminal.
2) Plots one or more rows, columns, or a cut at any angle through a file.
More than one image extension (map) can be plotted at once. The plot can be
directed to one or more of the devices supported in the MIIPS Plotting Package.
The location of a cut at an arbitrary angle can be selected either manually or
interactively with SAOimage (Enhanced version).
3) Reads an XY area and prints it on the terminal.
4) Displays a FITS image on SAOimage (Enhanced version only, obtainable from
5) Writes all or part of a row to a new or existing FITS file. The
following data formats can be used: I1 (Unsigned 8-bit integer), I2 (16-bit
twos-complement binary integer), I4 (32-bit twos-complement binary integer),
R4 (IEEE single precision floating point), R8 (IEEE double precision floating
point, C8 (Complex - real and imaginary are R4), and C16 (Complex - real and
imaginary are R8. When writing complex data, the number of planes is required
to be 2.
6) Writes values to an XY area for a new or existing FITS file.
7) Permits one to rotate a FITS file by + or - 90 degrees,
or 180 degrees. The size of the output map is automatically chosen
from the size of the input map.
8) Performs simple arithmetic on a chosen plane of a map in a FITS file.
9) Performs a simple crop on a chosen set of maps in a file. All maps and
planes within the maps are cropped to the same size. The results can be saved
to the same set of maps, or a new set of maps appended to the same, a different,
or a new FITS file.
10) Allows one to copy selected maps from an input file to an output
11) Copies a selected set of maps from one file to a set of planes
in a map in another file.
12) Prints the header of a FITS file. Both the primary and the selected
map header will be printed. The command also counts the number of
blank and nonblank keycards.
13) Writes a COMMENT or HISTORY keycard to the header of an
existing FITS file.
14) Updates or creates a keycard with a string value, e.g., AUTHOR,
CTYPEn, BUNIT, DATE, DATE-OBS, etc.
15) Updates or creates the BSCALE and BZERO keycards for an
16) Replaces a keycard with blanks.
Download/View a pdf version of the 2009 AAS Meeting paper
"A FITS Library Package"
Download the FITS Package...
Back to my Home page