Venue and Map
The meeting will be held at the Carnegie Observatories located at 813 Santa Barbara St, Pasadena, CA 91101.
A map of the campus for Carnegie Observatories is available here. The CHARA Science Meeting and Workshop will be held in the Auditorium. Please enter the building via the east parking lot where the GMT circles are painted on the blacktop (follow the red arrows on the map).
Parking: If you drive to the meeting, please park in the east Gate 813 parking lot (along Santa Barbara Street) with the GMT circles painted on the blacktop. Note that there are 2 hour parking restrictions on Santa Barbara Street, so please park in the parking lot to avoid a ticket.
A block of 30 rooms has been reserved for CHARA guests at the Fuller Guest and Conference Center. The Fuller Guest Center is located 0.6 miles from the Carnegie Observatories. To book a room, please contact the Fuller Operations Manager, Teresa Parsekian through email at teresaparsekian(at)fuller.edu or by calling +1 (626)-204-1143. The block of rooms will be held until February 28th. When contacting the Fuller Guest Center, please mention that you will be attending the "CHARA Conference" and provide the following information:
- Full Name:
- Full Mailing Address:
- Phone Number:
- Room Type:
- Number of Occupants (adult/child ratio):
- Arrival and Departure Dates:
- Email Address:
The available room types and conference rates are as follow:
- BASIC ROOM: $110 per night - This room comes with a Full size bed, bathroom, desk and/or table, and area with a microwave, mini-fridge, toaster and coffee maker.
- STUDIO: $130.00 per night - This room comes with a Queen size bed, bathroom, desk and/or table, and kitchenette with a two-burner stove, sink, microwave, mini-fridge, toaster and coffee maker.
- MINI SUITE: $140.00 per night - This room comes with a Queen size bed, living room, desk and full kitchen.
- ONE BEDROOM SUITE: $149.00 per night - This room is a fully furnished one bedroom apartment with a queen size bed in the bedroom, bathroom, full kitchen, dining area and living room.
- DIRECTOR STUDIO: This is an upgraded studio room.
Cancellation Policy: If you need to cancel or shorten your reservation, you must do so with the Fuller Guest Center office more than 1 week prior to your scheduled arrival date. If the cancellation takes place 7 days or less before your scheduled arrival date, there will be a charge applied for one night’s stay to your billing information. A charge of one night’s stay will also be applied to an early departure when notice is given 7 days or less prior to the day of departure.
There are a variety of other hotel options in the local Pasadena area, although the Fuller Guest Center is the closest to the conference site.
A searchable listing of restaurants in the Old Town Pasadena is available here.
Transportation from LAX airport to Pasadena:
- Uber and Lyft can be requested from one of the six “Ride Service” pickup signs (A through F) located curbside on the upper departures level (~ $50).
- Taxis (~ $100) and shared-ride vans like SuperShuttle (~ $30) can be taken from the lower arrival level at LAX.
- Public Transportation: The LAX FyAway Bus goes from LAX to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles ($9.75). Passengers leaving LAX may board buses on the Lower Arrival Level in front of each terminal under the green "FlyAway Buses and Long Distance Vans" sign. The Metro Gold Line train can then be taken from Union Station to Pasadena ($1.75). The Gold Line Lake Station is located 0.3 miles from the Fuller Guest Center. Note that the LA FlyAway Bus does not accept cash. Bus tickets may be purchased with Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit cards only, before or after riding the bus at the Union Station terminal. Metro Tap cards can be purchased at machines in the Gold Line train terminal.
Transportation around Pasadena:
- The Pasadena Transit buses provide local service in Pasadena.